Monday, May 11, 2009

Name that tune


I'm just wondering where high school and middle school band directors pick their songs from. Is there a "Big Book of Unknown Songs" that comes with the job. Don't get me wrong, the various Atlantic, bands, choirs, show choirs, chorus (choruses, chorusi?) et al., sound great.. It's just that they never sing songs you've ever heard of. And usually in Latin.
Would it kill them to sing "Take Me Home Country Roads" once in a while. Everyone LOVES that song.
I'm just sayin...

3 comments:

s.clark said...

Jeff,
I read this a long time ago, and it has been on my mind ever since. I am so grateful that we have such wonderful music teachers in Atlantic, so that the students can broaden their horizons a little. If they only sing "country roads", they won't learn about other countries and other music for that matter. Everyone should have a chance to get some cultural awareness. I thank the wonderful instructors for NOT having them sing 'country roads', however they might sing that in a community where there is no teaching or musical guidance! Maybe you should download that onto your ipod and listen to it alone?

Anonymous said...

Evidently your personal copy of The Big Book of Unknown Songs is huge. Somehow the Atlantic Music Department will have to struggle on while adding you to its list of folks needing more of what it produces. I'm just sayin'.

Jeff Lundquist said...

Wow! Really?

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean. My personal copy of the big book of unknown songs is huge? Huh?

Does the music department really keep a list of "folks needing more of what it produces?"

I doubt it, but if they do put me on it, I'm pretty tone deaf but would love to learn to play the saxophone.

But really, don't you think maybe you might be taking this post a little too seriously. It was kind of a joke.

BTW
There's nothing to be afraid of when it comes to posting your names folks. Really, I'm more bark than bite!